Important: Please read our page on taxes for information about how relocations may effect your tax status.
JPL Postdoc Information
JPL's HR department coordinates relocation and accommodations. Please contact the relocation coordinator cited on your offer letter for information.
Caltech Postdoc Information
Caltech has a housing office which provides apartments. Housing will be granted based on availability and your position on the waiting list. You should get on the waiting list as soon as possible (available on the housing web site). Registering for the waiting list does not require you to take Caltech Housing but is necessary to be eligible. For more details, see Caltech Housing. You can send an email the Housing Office or call directly 626-395-6176.
The Postdoctroal Handbook offers lots of information about the Los Angeles area -- where to live and how to get around. The following are excerpts from that handbook. You might also find it helpful to check out information about the cost of living in LA.
Tips on where to live
Although Pasadena is a great option in considering travel time to and from work, there are many interesting and distinct flavors in neighboring cities:
- South Pasadena: small-town charm with big-city amenities. Do not confuse with Pasadena.
- Alhambra/San Gabriel: bustling suburbs south of JPL.
- Sierra Madre/Arcadia/Monrovia: communities east of the Lab
- Altadena: immediately to the north; mostly residential
- La Cañada-Flintridge: most of JPL's buildings reside in La Cañada
- La Crescenta-Montrose/Glendale/Burbank/Eagle Rock: to the west of JPL
You can also find out what it is like to live in Los Angeles here.