Important: Please read the section below on taxes for information about how relocations may affect your tax status.
Please contact email@example.com to coordinate your relocation.
JPL Program Information
To be eligible for relocation assistance:
- The commuting distance between your former home and JPL must be greater than 50 miles, as measured by the shortest of the most commonly traveled routes
- Your new residence is within reasonable commuting distance to JPL
- Your relocation is completed within 12 months from your first day as a postdoc at JPL
Tips on Where to Live
Although Pasadena is a great option, considering travel time to and from work, there are many interesting and distinct neighboring cities:
- South Pasadena: small-town charm with big-city amenities (not to be confused with Pasadena)
- Alhambra/San Gabriel: bustling suburbs south of JPL
- Sierra Madre/Arcadia/Monrovia: communities east of the Lab
- Altadena: immediately to the north; mostly residential
- La Cañada-Flintridge: most of JPL's buildings reside in La Cañada
- La Crescenta-Montrose/Glendale/Burbank/Eagle Rock: to the west of JPL
Additional consideration: JPL is currently experiencing a thousand parking space shortage. Regular parking passes are no longer issued to students, postdocs, and other non-JPL employee personnel. Parking passes will only be issued to carpool drivers and those who drive in for no more than 3 days a week. Please take this into consideration as you search for housing.
Alternative Ways to Get to JPL
The below references, tools, and information are provided as a convenience only and should not be considered as endorsements.
The Metro Gold Line connects to Pasadena from Downtown Los Angeles (heading northeast) and Monrovia (heading west). The following buses also offer service to JPL from Pasadena:
|Metro Bus 268||Metro Bus 177||Pasadena ARTS Bus||LCF Shuttle||Glendale Beeline|
Stipends and other income that postdocs receive while at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory may be subject to both federal and state income taxes. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the California Institute of Technology, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration do not provide tax advice or counsel. The below references, tools, and information are provided as a convenience only and should not be considered as endorsements. It is best to consult a tax professional for advice.
Tax Information Links
- United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – http://www.irs.gov or call 1-800-829-3676
- Pub 519: U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
- Pub 970: Scholarships/Fellowships
- Pub 901: Tax Treaties
- California Franchise Tax Board -- http://www.ftb.ca.gov or call 1-800-338-0505